Mina Mahdavi, Ph.D.
San Mateo, CA 94403
Forward-thinking polymer engineer with 6 years research experience in polymer processing, nano-materials, materials characterization, property analysis, data collection, statistical analysis and molecular dynamics simulation of polymeric systems. Looking for a position to employ my expertise and experiences in the field of polymer chemistry, characterization and property analysis.—————————————————————————-
Area of Expertise
• Melt Mixing
• 3 Roll Milling
• Nanocomposite Preparation
Characterization and Property Analysis:
• Scanning Probe Microscopy: AFM, SEM
• Analytical Chemistry: FTIR, UV-Vis
• Thermal Analysis: DSC, DMA, TGA
Computational Skills: Data Analysis:
• Machine Learning
• Python Programing
• Numpy & Pandas
Molecular Dynamics Simulation Software:
• Materials Studio/Discovery Studio • NAMD/VMD
Visiting Scholar, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Beckman Institute Jun 2018- Dec 2018
• Investigated the polymer chain length effect on the small molecule adsorption on the modified graphene surface
Research Assistant, University of Mississippi, Department of Chemical Engineering Jan 2015- Dec 2018
• Improved the mechanical properties of epoxy-based nanocomposite of graphene and TiO2
• Improved the thermal stability of poly(ethylene oxide)/graphene nanocomposites
• Improved the stability of carbon nano tube (CNT) in the epoxy resin using anionic and cationic surfactants
• Molecular simulation of pH-dependent diffusion, loading, and release of an anticancer drug in graphene and graphene oxide drug delivery systems
• Molecular simulation insights on the in-vacuo adsorption of amino acids on graphene oxide surfaces with varying surface oxygen densities
Research Assistant, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran Sep 2011- Oct 2013
• Improved the thermal and electrical properties of ethylene vinyl acetate /expanded graphite nanocomposites
• Advanced the morphology of ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer/expanded graphite foams
• Improved the microstructure and mechanical properties of poly(lactic acid) foam
• Extended the chain of poly(lactic acid) with epoxidized soybean oil
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University of Mississippi, MS, USA, 2015-2018
M.S. in Polymer Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, 2011-2013
B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran 2006-2011
• Plastic Engineering
• Biocompatible polymers
• Polymer Processing
• Physical Chemistry of Polymers
• Physical and Mechanical Properties of Polymers
• Chemistry and Kinetics of Polymerization
• Rheology of Polymers
• Composite Engineering
• Elastomer Engineering
Workshop and Certificates
•Certificate in Materials Data Sciences and Informatics 2019
•Hands-On Workshop on QM/MM Simulations, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign 2018
•Hands-On Workshop on Enhanced Sampling and Free-Energy Calculation, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign 2018
Honors and Awards
• Best Graduate Research Award, American Chemical Society (ACS) Local Ole Miss Chapter, USA 2018
• Dissertation Fellowship, University of Mississippi, USA 2018
• Wood Society travel grant, University of Mississippi, USA 2016
• Scholarship for graduate studies, University of Mississippi, USA 2015-2017
• Scholarship from Iranian Nanotechnology Initiative Council for the master thesis, Iran 2012
• Ranked 11 among more than 2000 participants in the nationwide university entrance exam, Iran 2010
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
• Mahdavi, M., Fattahi, A., Tajkhorshid, E., Nouranian, S., “Doxorubicin Stability and Retention on PEGylated Graphene Oxide Nanocarriers in the Presence of Human Serum Albumin” (2019) (Ready to submit)
• Mahdavi, M., Fattahi, A., Tajkhorshid, E., Nouranian, S., “Molecular Insights into Loading Dynamics and Equilibration of Doxorubicin on PEGylated Graphene Oxide Nanocarriers” (2019) (Under review, Journal of Molecular Pharmaceutics)
• Mahdavi, M., Nouranian, S., Smith, C., Smith, A., Hammer, N., “Synthesis and Characterization of TiO2-reduced Graphene Oxide: Substrate Surface Chemistry and Nanoparticle-to-substrate Ratio Effects on the Grafting Reaction,” (2018) (In preparation).
• Mahdavi, M., Yousefzadeh, O., and Garmabi, H. “A Simple Method for Preparation of Microcellular PLA/Calcium Carbonate Nanocomposite Using Supercritical Nitrogen as a Blowing Agent: Control of Microstructure,” Journal of Advances in Polymer Technology (2018) 00:1–10.
• Rahmani, F., Mahdavi, M., Nouranian, S., and Al-Ostaz, A. “Confinement Effects on the Thermal Stability of Poly(ethylene oxide)/Graphene Nanocomposites: A Reactive Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study,” Journal of Polymer Science: Part B, Polymer Physics 55(13) (2017): 1026-1035.
• Rahmani, F., Nouranian, S., Mahdavi, M., and O’Haver, J.H. “A Fundamental Investigation of the Surfactant- Stabilized Single- Walled Carbon Nanotube/Epoxy Resin Suspensions by Molecular Dynamics Simulation,” Materials Research Express 4(1) (2017): 015016.
• Mahdavi, M., Rahmani, F., and Nouranian, S. “Molecular Simulation of pH-dependent Diffusion, Loading, and Release of Doxorubicin in Graphene and Graphene Oxide Drug Delivery Systems,” Journal of Materials Chemistry B 4 (2016): 7441-7451.
• Rahmani, F., Nouranian, S., and Mahdavi, M. “Molecular Simulation Insights on the In-vacuo Adsorption of Amino Acids on Graphene Oxide Surfaces with Varying Surface Oxygen Densities,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research 18(11) (2016): 320.
• Yousefzade, O., Hemmati, F., Garmabi, H., and Mahdavi, M. “Assisted Heterogeneous Multinuclieation and Bubble Growth in Semicrystalline Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate Copolymer/Expanded Graphite Nanocomposite Foams: Control of Morphology and Viscoelastic Properties,” eXPRESS Polymer Letters 9(10) (2015): 932.
• Yousefzade, O., Hemmati, F., Garmabi, H., Mahdavi, M. “Thermal Behavior and Electrical Conductivity of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Copolymer/Expanded Graphite Nanocomposites,” Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology 22(1) (2014): 51-60.
• Mahdavi, M., Nouranian, S., and Fattahi, A. “Serum Albumin Interactions with Doxorubicin-Loaded Graphene Oxide in an Aqueous Environment with Blood pH Level: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study,” The 2017 Annual Meeting of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A. October 29-November 3 (2017).
• Nouranian, S., Rahmani, F., Mahdavi, M., and Al-Ostaz, A. “Mitigation of Atomic Oxygen Attack to Spacecraft Composite Structures: A Fundamental Investigation Using Reactive Molecular Dynamics Simulation,” TMS 2017, 146th Annual Meeting and Exhibition, San Diego, CA, U.S.A. February 26-March 2 (2017).
• Rahmani, F., Nouranian, S., and Mahdavi, M. “A Reactive Molecular Dynamics Simulation of the Thermal Decomposition in Graphene-Reinforced Polyethylene Oxide,” The 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), San Francisco, CA, U.S.A. November 13-18 (2016).
• Rahmani, F., Nouranian, S., and Mahdavi, M. “A Computational Investigation of the Surfactant-Mediated Carbon Nanotube Stabilization in a Liquid Epoxy Resin,” The 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), San Francisco, CA, U.S.A. November 13-18 (2016).
• Mahdavi, M., Nouranian, S., and Rahmani, F. “An Experimental and Computational Study of the Surface Chemistry Effects in the TiO2 Grafting of Graphene Oxide,” The 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), San Francisco, CA, U.S.A. November 13-18 (2016).
• Mahdavi, M., Rahmani, F., and Nouranian, S. “Graphene Oxide Nanocarrier for Doxorubicin Anticancer Drug, a Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study,” The 2015 Annual Meeting of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A. November 8-13 (2015).
• Mahdavi, M., Garmabi, H. and Yousefzade, O. “Chain Extending of Poly(lactic acid) with Epoxidized Soybean Oil,” The 8th International Chemical Engineering Congress & Exhibition, Kish Island, Iran, February 24-27 (2014).
• Yousefzade, O., Garmabi, H., and Mahdavi, M. “Dynamical Mechanical Thermal analysis (DMTA) and Electrical Conductivity of Nano Composites Based on EVA/Expanded Graphite with Different Graphite Aspect Ratios,” The International Biennial Conference on Ultrafine Grained and Nanostructured Materials (UFGNSM 2013), Tehran, Iran, November 5-6 (2013).