Senior Plastics Engineer/Scientist
We are looking for an experienced engineer/scientist to develop new applications and products based on polymers/plastics from concept to realization in both a precision assembly and in a high volume manufacturing environment. This will include becoming the company subject matter expert on polymeric/plastics material for high volume injection molding application.
Responsibilities and Desired Experience
• Collaborate on the design and development of high-tolerance, thin wall, high volume components for injection molding.
• Development of challenging molded components from engineered materials for precise instruments.
• Evaluation of materials for potential new applications in the Life Science market.
• Selection and evaluation of materials to achieve performance goals and improve sustainability for new applications in the Life Science market.
• Using knowledge of polymer chemistry and properties to solve challenging problems
• Working with mold makers and molding department to optimize component production and molding efficiency.
• Performing FEA and mold flow analysis and uses the data to optimize part design.
• Providing design information to R&D and Documentation staff for final release documentation and checking work output for accuracy.
• Conferring with peers, managers and team members across structural lines relative to material selection, handling and processing issues as required.
• Working with limited supervision from project manager or functional manager on assigned projects.
• Using materials knowledge to work cross functionally to provide viable solutions to production issues.
• Staying on top of industry and materials trends as a subject matter expert for polymers.
What You Need to Succeed
• Minimum of B.S. in a related area of study and 7 years of experience (3 – 5 years and M.S. or Ph.D. prefrred) in a related industry such as precision lab-grade consumables or products.
• Demonstrated experience with design and development of high volume injection molded parts.
• Strong understanding and knowledge of engineering polymers.
• Experience with driving projects to successful completion.
• Experience with scientific molding, MoldFlow /Moldex3D software, Six Sigma desired.
• Experience in ISO-certified design and manufacturing environment a plus.
• Advanced skills with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project.
Moe Reitman, Ph.D.
Moe Reitman, Inc.
4104 24th Street, Suite 360
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415) 585-8446, Ext. 1